Sunday, January 9, 2011

Overhauling my XPS M1330

Few days into working, I had gotten into contact with a friend of mine, SS and she had given me what remains of her dead XPS M1330. Pretty much everything less the hard drive and a battery.


Initially I asked for her keyboard only due to mine was malfunctioning in the B and N keys. Well nothing to lose anyway to have the extra parts.


I was actually only going to cut out her keyboard and replace it to my XPS. But her white display panel was absolutely gorgeous and stunning. I decided to steal that too. It was a quite troublesome process for a first timer like me when all my guidance come from the form of a PDF file from the Dell Self-Service Manual.


Okay so, done with the white display panel. I further explored in to find a 2GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM module sitting there with a big sign "TAKE ME". And so I stole that too. To complement my memory which I only had 3GB that comes from the initial 1GB and an extra purchase of 2GB. Now I had 4GB of RAMS , thanks to SS.


What more that can be salvaged ?


I further took the Dell Wireless Draft-N WLAN card too. And put it in my HP mini. The HP Mini only had a G module which provides only 2 or 3 bars at corners of my house. Replacing it with that gives me full 5 bars. The trade off is that I had to remove the HP's module because it only had 1 mini PCIe bay, I lost bluetooth function in the HP Mini too as its WLAN card is integrated with a bluetooth module. But who cares. I prefer Wireless-N over bluetooth. Again, thanks SS !

No comments:

Post a Comment