Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tearing apart my Pentium 4 system

I have a pentium 4 system in my house, been here for about 6 years ! can you imagine that ! It even has a floppy drive. Well this system has been dormant all along only to be awaken recently due to sudden interest.

Theres a problem with old systems > 5 years. The system time keeps resetting every time you shut down. I realize its because of its CMOS battery that had died out all the while. Please keep this in mind when you revive an old system or else it will make you go crazy every time you boot up to set the system time.

Anyway, due to some unknown problems, the system eventually died. My dad got a new i3 system. But the main focus of this post is the tearing apart of my P4 system. Not exactly tearing, just dissecting to see if theres any salvage parts. The first thing on my mind is its 3.5'' hard disk. Although only 40GB in size, i figure it could be used to store some of the movies / media i have.


So this is what looks like inside the system. There we see the HDD , the motherboard , PSU, PCI slots, the CPU , PCH , and there's the famous floppy drive. How many of you still have it ? Of course, anybody familiar with setting up their own PCs might have spotted. Its HDD is a PATA drive. Saw all those ribbons ? How disappointing.

Another close up of the PATA drive. PATA drives are slower than SATA drives. This is very impractical as a storage medium.
Heres a close of up the floppy drive. Seeing the system board, I cant help but feel a sense of similiarity in my line of work. All the cabling and stuffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment